Wednesday 6 January 2010

Task 5

Introduction

In this paragraph i will be writing and introducing my task which is my critical investigation. I would be writing about how the stereotype of male teens has changed in contempry urban drama and seeing how it was in the history and how it is now. I would do this by looking at historical texts such as Bad Boys. I would look at the similarities and differences between the historical text and a contemporary text such as Adulthood and other genre texts. I would then mention that I would be coming to a conclusion on how male teens are being represented in urban dramas and if it is positive or not. (G, H, R)

2nd Paragraph

In this paragraph i would be writing about male teenagers and how they are sterotyped in the media today. This would mean that I would start off with stating the obvious stereotypes of teenagers today. I would then be comparing contemporary texts to see how male teenagers are being stereotyped and put across to the audience. In this paragraph, I would have reference to the texts Adulthood, Kidulthood and Bullet Boy because by this I could see the different roles that male characters are having in urban dramas and if they are similar. This would fit in with the issue of violence and the media because the urban dramas that I would look at would have crime in them and I could see to what extent texts are going to show teenagers negatively. In this paragraph, I would put in the quote "The media can be seen as providing us with the information which tells us what it feels like to occupy a particular subject - position" because the media is showing teenagers negatively. (R, S,)

3rd Paragraph

In this paragraph I would be writing about how the way that male teens are shown has changed over a period of time. For this, I would be writing about the film Bad Boys (1995) and I would look at how males are being characterised in that film. This would mean that I would need to look the attitude of male teens used, the clothing, the propps and the language used. This would show if male teens representation has changed over time. For this I would have to look at the social and economical factor too because the representation of male teens could have changed over time because of these factors. In this paragraph I would add in the quote "Stereotypes tend to be resistant to change; Second, they generally carry a pejorativve and narrow range of meanings" because it shows that the stereotypes of male teens would not stay the same for a long period of time. (R, H, M, S, E)

4th Paragraph

In this paragraph I would look at what effect the representations of male teens is having on the audience and the public. I would need to look at certain contemporary texts such as Alpha Dog and Kidulthood to show how negatively male teens are being represented. I would then look at if this representation is causing a moral panic in the media because the public might then be afraid to talk to teenagers or be near them in public. I would also look in to if this on screen representation is having a effect on the way that male teens are starting to act for example, are they taking part in the self fulfilling prophecy and behaving how the narrative is constructed?. This would link to looking at the social and political factors because I would need to explore if the on screen representation of male teens is becoming a social factor and political factor which it is because of the big issue on hoodies. In this paragraph I could also add the quote "The two Godfather films were blockbusters, enormously popular and returning huge profits. So, too, was Steven Spielbergs 'Jaws' (1975), a horror film with a strong sense of viewer engagement" because it shows that even though the representation of male teens in urban drama films are negative, it is still attracting a large audience and that could mean that male teens are being influenced to behave like this too. (R, A, N, S, P)

5th Paragraph

In this paragraph I would look at the theory audience theory because I would look in more detail what this stereotypes of male teens is created. For example are there ideas being injected in to the audiences mind (hypodermic needle theory) because is the audience looking at a male teen and being influenced to behave like that too. Has this representation also meant that the public view male teens in a more negative way? Is this representation being created because of off screen representation where the producers might have something against male teens too and are influencing the public to think that too? This would mean that in this paragraph, I would look at the audience theory and look at what affects these films have on the audience and is that the reason for a moral panic of male teens in the media?. In this paragraph I could put in the quote "David Buckingham studied how young boys made sense of what it means to be male or masculine partly from the ways they talked about television programmes and videos". This would be a good quote for this paragraph because it shows that males are being influenced by movies and that means that more male teens would behave like this. (A, R)

Conclusion

I would now come to a decision on how male teens are being represented in contemporary urban dramas. I would make this decision by looking at contemporary and historical texts. This would show if male teens are being represented negatively and are these representations being created because of factors such as social, political and economical. This would mean that I would understand more why this representation of male teens is created and what are the factors that influence it.

No comments:

Post a Comment