Tuesday 5 January 2010

Task 4

1. http://www.allmovie.com/explore/type/urban-drama-979

"A type of drama that focuses on issues and problems caused by modern and contemporary urban life. Often in these films, the city itself becomes a character, something that affects, changes, or hinders a protagonist as much, or more so, than any other element of the film."

This website is related to my critical investigation as it has a basic background on urban drama and gives me some examples of films that I can look at for my critical investigation. This would help me because I could use this websites examples and talk about them in my critical investigation.

2. http://www.movierevie.ws/genres/146/1/Urban-Drama.html

Looks at different film reviews.

The website would be useful for my critical investigation as it mentions a number of films that are urban dramas that I could look at. This would help me because I could look at these films and it has reviews as well. This would mean that I could look at a few of these films and look at patterns of the representation of teenagers in urban dramas.

3. http://www.coursework.info/University/Mass_Communications_and_Documentation/Media_Studies/Film_Studies/kidadulthood_review___How_are_teenagers_L137186.html
"The film "Kidulthood" deals with a number of teenage issues and the traditional adult/teenage conflict. It looks at stereotypical teenagers, who are often described as moody, argumentative, violent, causing trouble (getting an 'ASBO', 'Hoodies with lots of attitude, all in an urban back round."

This website would help me for my critical investigation because it is a essay on how teenagers are represented in Kidulthood. This would help me for my critical investigation because I could look at this essay and get ideas on how teenagers have been represented. This would mean that I could get a lot of different ideas and explore Kidulthood at a wider depth.

4. http://www.jstor.org/pss/3852792

This website is a book that is on the Internet and has some information on urban dramas. This could help me because it has some information on urban dramas. This means that I could get more background information on urban dramas and find quotes in the book that could help me in my essay.

5. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2005/mar/20/features.review

"Bullet Boy is a valid story. It will resonate and reverberate with different communities throughout the UK,' says Boothe. 'In terms of what it deals with, this story could have been set in Oldham or Toxteth; the characters could have been any colour."

The website would help me in my critical investigation because it is a review of Bullet boy from the guardian and it looks at the film from a media view because of it being a controversial film. This would help me because I could mention the film Bullet Boy in my essay and could look at the way that it is has been put across in the media.

6. http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2005/apr/20/hayfilmfestival2005.guardianhayfestival

"The film was sold to its backers at BBC Films as "Kes with guns", says its director and co-writer, 36-year-old documentary maker Saul Dibb. "I wanted to get across to them it's a film about a 12-year-old and innocence and it's a film with guns, but not a City of God-type film."

This article is another one from the Guardian and is about the film Bullet Boy and this would be good to use for my critical investigation because I could look at how the film is shown in the media and what issues have arised based on the film. I could then use this to assist me in my essay.

7. http://www.screenonline.org.uk/education/id/1292217/index.html

"Representations of adolescence on screen vary greatly - from nostalgic portraits of childhood innocence and comic depictions of teenage angst through to unsettling, sometimes violent visions of the young teen rebel and delinquent."

This article looks at the different films that are based on youths and looks at the different representations that are being created in films. By this we can tell that this would help me in my critical investigation because I could look at the different films and mention the different representations that are being shown.

8. www.mediaed.org.uk/posted_documents/repsyouth.html

"The fact is that the media have the power through selection and reinforcement to give us very influential portrayals of a whole range of groups, situations and ideas. We make sense of these representations in different ways according to the values and assumptions we carry around in our own heads. So representation is not just about the way the world is presented to us but also about how we engage with media texts in order to interpret and assimilate such portrayals."

This quote links to my critical investigation as it looks at the way in which representations are created and on what basis they are created, this would be useful to me because when looking at my investigation, i could understand more about how these representations have been created of teenagers.

9. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=M-cbJXZpvJEC&pg=PT152&lpg=PT152&dq=representation+of+teenagers+in+urban+drama&source=bl&ots=NJtenzeE8q&sig=jAGqw8RUjEKpq1p7pT93yMS7xEQ&hl=en&ei=KMxDS-6XBcSr4Qb1gqWqCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CCIQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

This is a book online that would help me for my critical investigation because it looks at urban drama. This would mean that I could look at this book and get some ideas and quotes that I could talk about in my essay. By this we can tell that by this book I could gain more knowledge on urban dramas.

10. http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/alpha-dog

"His depiction of all this squalor and depravity is vivid, but it doesn't offer much insight into WHY the kids do what they do, and he drags the resolution out way too long."

This website would be useful for me for my critical investigation because it looks at the film Alpha Dog. By this we can tell that I could look at this film and look at what has been said about it. This would mean that I could talk about this film and compare the representation of teenagers to other urban drama films.

No comments:

Post a Comment